An overview of various MES/MOM implementation and governance methodologies and concepts is provided and how they are applied within a MES/MOM initiative. An overview is provided of 1) system design and project management methodologies and frameworks such as GAMP and Zachman, 2) development approaches such as Waterfall and Spiral/Iterative development, and 3) the associated risks and governance around such projects. Also System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methods and the importance of the different SDLC components are discussed including requirement specifications. The importance of behavioral change management initiatives is also discussed to terms of their critical role(s) as part of the governance process.
Over the last decade, most MES/MOM requests for proposals (RFPs) have been based on ISA-88/95 language for functional definitions. Manufacturers are utilizing ISA-95 manufacturing operations activity models for RFPs, functional requirement specifications (FRS) and project management plans. The MES project tool explains different system configuration in terms of workflow, life cycle cost, flexibility, and change management. ISA-95 practically addresses specification of business-to-manufacturing (B2M) solution through best practices to transform operations applications and their transactional interfaces into a flexible manufacturing framework.
Learner will be able to:
- Explain how to design and manage MOM solutions
- Discuss Good Automated Manufacturing Practices and how this helps to reduce risk and cost.
- Recognize that each MOM standards has a specific use applied to MOM design based on manufacturing type.
- Explain how to gather and structure requirements and generate MOM design documents.
- Apply a Software Development Life Cycle to ensure the continued applicability of implemented solutions
Test and Exercises:
1. In-Course Formative Assessment Test: 10 Questions, Open notes in discussion, Answers recorded in Test Form
2. Out-Course Summative Assessment Test: 10 Questions, Open notes in self study, Answers recorded in Test Form
1. MESA White Paper #20: ISA-95 Based Change Management
2. MESA White Paper #22: Manufacturing Information Systems: ISA-88/95 Based Functional Definition
3. MESA White Paper #23: ISA-95 As-Is / To-Be Study